Monday, August 24, 2009

GSF-reader now working!!

Okay, so I am really excited because my GSF-reader that I coded up in Matlab is now working!! It is not fully-functional yet (I still have to add some sonar-specific readers, and some other optional record types) but it works for one of the sample CARIS-generated GSF files I have.

One of the things holding me up was the fact that I did not realize records were padded with extra bytes to ensure the record size in bytes was divisible by 4. I am not sure why it matters if it is divisible by 4, but apparently it does to GSF.

My next issue to tackle is a Reson sonar-specific quality flag indicator that is written in bits, not bytes, and uses all kinds of bit shifts and masks (joy!). This record is no longer used, but some older GSF versions will include them. Once that is tackled, some of the other GSF files should start working as well.

Also, if I want others to be able to benefit from this work, I should probably eventually convert it over to Python. Having a Python-based GSF reader would be pretty sweet.

There already exists C-code of course that does all this, but I want to have something that generates separate records for the data so that I can play with the ping depths for example, or the backscatter intensities, in a familiar environment. The C-code is really written so that it can be incorporated into other programs. By writing a reader myself, I not only gain a better understanding of the data and how GSF stores them, but I read them into a program where I can readily perform mathematical analysis on them.

2 comments:

  1. Did you ever port your gsf reader to Python?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately no. It's currently on my list of things to do once I have finished my degree.

    ReplyDelete