Saturday, April 6, 2013

Still Alive!

So I know it has been a while since I have posted anything to my blog, but I was a bit shocked to learn that "a while" is actually almost 2 years.

In the past 2 years a lot has happened:

  • I passed my departmental exams and advanced to candidacy
  • I sailed as member of the scientific party on IODP Expedition 343: Japan Trench Fast Drilling Project (JFAST).
  • I was selected to participate in a NASA Social, during which I was able to go to the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena for the landing of Curiosity, the Mars Science Lab rover
  • I got married to Kurt Schwehr, who is much better about updating his blog than I am mine
In the next year, I'll be wrapping up my research and getting ready to defend. As I do so, I am going to make an effort to keep my blog updated. 

I realize that not only has my blog been helpful to me, as I have often referred back to it to remember how I did something, but that it has also been helpful to others as well. Having something that I posted save someone else a lot of grief and head-banging is pretty sweet, and I hope that some of my future posts will continue to be beneficial to people.
So buckle up and hang on to your hats folks, here we go....

3 comments:

  1. Yay, good to see you blogging again! I'm looking forward to reading your posts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well this is a surprise, I was looking at a 2009 post you made about reading gsf files. Could you point me to the way to read them with Python? kimo@ollivier.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kimo,
    Unfortunately I haven't. I am hoping to be able to do it at some point, but realistically it probably won't happen until after i defend. I originally wrote the code when I thought I would be using GSF files a lot in my research, and as it turns out, I haven't used any.

    ReplyDelete